Tuesday 26 August 2014

WEDDING VOW...

Pardon my musings... In nigerian weddngs it's common to hear the same monotonous vows recited over and over again and everyone can practically anticipate the next words out of the preacher's mouth. in the

 penticostal setting it goes something like... "i .... take thee..... as my lovely wedded wife, to love and to cherish, to have and to hold, from this day forward, in sickness and in health, for richer for poorer, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance."

catholic setting it goes like..."I, ___, take you, ___, to be my husband/wife. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love and honor you all the days of my life."

and i must say the vows are lovely, however as I prepared the marriage register last weekend in the church conference room, I heard the couple reciting their vows and I imagined what it would be like, how creative it would be, how deep and touching with meaning the words would be if I wrote my own vows myself,
But since we belong to a penticostal dispensation where such is not really the order of the day, i decided to write it as a letter instead and share it with you...
Ok, here we go...

I promise to give you the best of myself and to ask of you no more than you can give.

I promise to respect you as your own person and to realize that your interests, desires
and needs are no less important than my own.

I promise to share with you my time and my attention and to bring joy, strength and imagination
to our relationship.

I promise to keep myself open to you, to let you see through the window of my world into my innermost fears and feelings, secrets and dreams.

I promise to grow along with you, to be willing to face changes in order to keep our relationship alive and exciting.

I promise to love you in good times and bad, with all I have to give and all I feel inside in the only way I know how, completely and forever
THEN AT THE POINT OF EXCHANGING RINGS...
MY OH MY... don't i just feel like getting married already..... (Mental note to self, i gatz explore the possibility of reciting this on my wedding day oooo)
oya my people una don read am... wetin una think ooooo


18 comments:

  1. Can I borrow some lines to add to mine? Cos am definitely gonna read a vow to my husband and he'll definitely do same. Probably not the exchange of ring time but during the reception.... It's our day, line up of programs mustn't be like other people #justthinkingoutloud.
    Great one there effizey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men I completely agree with you. Talking to some newly wedded couple sometime back. I realised that they didn't even know their vows. Our Nigerian churches only encourage couples to Resite their vows as against knowing what they are really saying and meaning it. Personally I will like to write my own vow so I can say what I know, feel, and mean. But as a catholic I don't think that will be happening anytime soon in nija. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree that we should be allowed to write our own vows, for somebody like me who can't cram,well may I not muddle my vows that day. Keep it up Tofi,this is good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million Divabee, i appreciate the vetting

      Delete
  4. nice one bro....cant wait to say mine........honestly i think we should be allowed to say ours along side with the norms. just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yesso... thanks sis... i also think so... but i think cos of our culture we could explore it at the reception

      Delete
  5. Ok o, I dont know how to respond to this but am waiting patiently to see the actual. God, let the come fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Appreciating the hard work you put into your
    website and in depth information you offer. It's awesome to come across a blog every
    once in a while that isn't the same old rehashed material.
    Fantastic read! I've saved your site and I'm adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.



    My webpage: summer wedding

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is some vow....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooohk not a bad idea maybe at the reception bcos in our church it is say after me/ repeat after me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah I agree that vows are always lovely. These lines you have shared are really nice. Can I use some of these lines for my vow renewal day? The second last line is my favorite. I am definitely going to use this one. Well dear thanks for this wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anial pls feel free, i'm happy my lines resonate with the truth and is useful to you.

      Delete

Your comment is important to me, Thanks for dropping by